Windward Insider Blog
12 Oct 2011
10 years laterIn 2002 Retailing Today identified "The 12 hot issues facing mass retailing" See http://bit.ly/p0R4Q1 The above link will take you to a more in-depth explanation of the dozen of issues but here they are in a few words or less plus, in parentheses, an off the cuff gut feel of 10 years later.
- The demand for new and trendy products (no change).
- Financial reform (change for worse).
- Diversity (Huh?)
- The cost of Store operations (some change).
- Relationships (big change with social media)
- Supply-chain management (inconsistent change across sectors).
- Consumer connection (varying change depending on age group).
- Development of proprietary brands (ongoing change).
- Legislation increasing cost of business (no change).
- Trade shows (big change, attendance is down).
- Cost of Energy (continues to rise).
- The E-commerce dot-com bust (big change).