How You Can Increase Your Average Basket Size
- Spread high traffic items throughout the store
- Cross-merchandise complimentary items
- Offer some "retail-tainment" to you expose customers to new items they can buy
- Track your average basket size
The Secret Sauce is Creating Kits
Kitting gives you the opportunity to sell clients something they may not have thought of, but they will thank you for later.
Unlike the classic upsell – placing magazines and gum by the cash register, or asking if they want “fries with that” – the concept of Kitting is to add value with additional, complementary items that the customer may not even know they need, but will benefit or enhance their original intended purchase.
For example, if your customer comes into your pet store and tells you they're buying a puppy for their child, you can prepare a “Puppy’s First Family” package as a kit.
This could include a puppy care book, a safe travel carrier, stain remover, chew toy, food, water dish, food dish, ball, collar, leash – and of course, a first dog bed.
So, instead of having your sales staff suggest one or two items off the top of their head - or worse, leaving purchase choices entirely to the consumer - your team presents as the experts on the topic, and helps the consumer in the process.
After all, the general public may not know what items could be useful when you buy a puppy.
Or a snowblower (gloves, hat, boots, goggles, earplugs, hand warmers, gas can).
Or the first time they attempt an oil change ( oil, oil filter, socket set, oil filter wrench, drain pan, funnel, latex gloves, jack and jack stands or ramps)
You get the picture...
With a kit, you suddenly have a way to offer everything the customer potentially needs as one package.
Boost Profits with Windward's built-in kitting
As a business owner, you can create one or more “package” of items that go together under one SKU.
"Kitting" is a Windward System Five on Cloud feature that automatically creates a sales SKU and pricing for a group of items.
Traditionally, kitting is used in hardware or furniture sales to ensure four table legs are paired and sold with a table top, or the right bulbs are easy to locate and sell with a particular light fixture.
However, there are also huge opportunities to use the kitting features built into in Windward System Five to create promotional kits that can really give your bottom line a boost by include the high margin items you want to sell.
Here are the advantages of setting up Kits:
- Staff doesn’t need to remember specifics on the floor while they are busy
- Everything is included in one SKU, so no essential item is left behind
- It’s easy to offer a discount price on the kit, then inform the customer of the cost savings and the convenience of buying it all, all at once
- Kit together items from different suppliers and everything entered in your point-of-sale is automatically removed from inventory and updated across Windward System Five, including customer records, accounting, purchase ordering, delivery, etc.
- Offer the “fries with that” package, i.e., one or two upsell items; as well as the “full meal deal” package, i.e., multiple items that go together.
Kitting keeps your customer in the store for their entire purchase, and stops them from rounding out the project at your competitor!
The Windward Intelligence Dashboard helps you drill into average ticket by category.
If you are ready to learn more about kitting, here’s what to do:
|Windward clients please contact your Account Manager to talk about a Professional Services plan to get Kitting set up. +1 (800) 633-5750|
Or you can check out this webinar where we will discuss different Kits Types which meet various needs. There will be a live demonstration with examples and a quick Q & A will follow.
If you are not yet a Windward client, one of our Business Developers would be happy to talk to you about your current business challenges and see how we can help.
Please reach out at +1 (800) 633-5750